Fastbase Accounting System
Internet & Ecommerce
Fastbase Client Sites
Office newsPriscilla has been with us about two months now, and she is getting on very well, looking after your accounting issues especially. Many of you have probably spoken to her by now. Otherwise all is quiet on the office front.
Most of this newsletter is devoted to the subject of the New Zealand GST increase on 1 October. Do make sure you update your GST tax code in Fastbase before the deadline. Also you will need to do a Fastbase software update before that date. See the notes below for details.
The discussion below should address the most obvious GST questions, but there may be considerations specific to your business; talk to your accountant or give us a call if you have questions.
GST change on 1 OctoberFrom 1 October 2010 a new GST tax rate of 15% will take effect in New Zealand.
Fastbase has always supported the ability to set a new tax rate, to take effect on a nominated date. The main thing you need to do is set the new Start Date and Tax Rate for the GST tax rate, under Utilities - Tax Codes. However there are some considerations you should be aware of, for example regarding transactions that span the cutover date. Also we have made some software fixes to improve the handling of the rate change.
We have upgraded Fastbase to resolve two issues we found. Previously, if you set a Start Date for the tax code of 1 October, the change would not take effect until 2 October. We have fixed this, now the Start Date is effective from the correct date. Also previously, for AR credits Fastbase applied the GST rate as at the date of the credit, not the date of the original invoice. We have fixed this also. Now for AR credits, Fastbase applies the GST rate based on the original invoice date.
We strongly recommend you do a Fastbase software update before 1 October, to ensure these issues are resolved for your Fastbase system.
To effect the new GST rate, the following steps need to be done by a user with Fastbase security level 9 for Utilities. This can be done any time prior to 1 October.
1. Go into Utilities - Tax Codes - select the NZ GST tax code
2. In the next unused Start Date field, enter 01/10/2010
3. In the Tax Rate field, enter 15.00
4. Click on Save
5. Restart Fastbase
This will put into effect the new tax rate for all taxable transactions dated 1 October 2010 or later. Transactions dated before 1 October 2010 will still be subject to the old rate of 12.5%. This sounds simple, however you should be aware of special considerations for transactions that span the cutover date.
If you are on GST invoice basis, invoices dated 30 September with receipts/payments on or after 1 October will be subject to 12.5% (ie. the invoice date applies). If you are on the GST cash basis, invoices dated 30 September with receipts/payments on or after 1 October will be subject to 15% (ie. the receipt/payment date applies).
For customer (AR) credits, Fastbase will use the GST rate based on the original invoice date. Unless there are unusual circumstances, you should not need to do anything special for customer credits.
However for supplier (AP) credits, Fastbase does not apply the AP credit to the original AP invoice (if any). Fastbase uses the GST rate based on the credit date.
If you create an AP credit after 1 October, and you want to use the old GST rate, you will need to change the credit date to a date prior to 1 October. For example, you are doing an AP credit on 1 October applicable to a 30 September purchase. Create the credit; the default date for the credit (in the header) is today's date, 01/10/2010. Change this date to 30/09/2010. The 12.5% GST rate will apply.
For AR journals, Fastbase will use the GST rate based on the journal date. If you want to use the old GST rate (because the journal relates to transactions prior to 1 October) you should set the journal date prior to 1 October.
For goods credits, Fastbase will apply the GST rate based on the credit date. Treat in the same manner as AP credits, ie. date the goods credit prior to 1 October if required.
The GST report will use the correct GST rate depending on whether the report is for a period either prior to or after 1 October. Note that GST reports should not be run for a period spanning the cutover, e.g. September through October. If you need a GST report spanning the cutover you will need to run separate reports and consolidate them manually.
You may want to leave the September period open for longer than usual, to facilitate creation of AP credits, goods credits or journals dated prior to 1 October.
For the first month or two after 1 October we recommend you pay close attention to your printed stationary items, ie. Invoice, Purchase Order, Customer Quote, Customer Order, Packing Slip, Customer Credit, Supplier Credit etc. Before sending documents to customers, please check if the GST amount on the printout is correct.
If you have any questions or need help with any of this please call us.
Customer statements in CSV formatWe have had a few enquiries recently about sending customer statements in CSV format. There is an existing Fastbase feature for this. On the Customer Maintenance - Preferences tab, one of the Print Statement options is "Yes, Email CSV". If you select this, when you print customer statements (via Processing - Print Customer Statements) the statement will be sent to the customer in CSV format. Contact us if you want more specific information. This feature is enabled by a setup option - you won't see the "yes, Email CSV" option unless the setup option is enabled. Contact us if you want it enabled.
Single invoice per orderWhen you make a new customer order, there is an existing option "Single invoice only ?" - if you select this, you can only make one invoice for the order. You can now control the default for this option on a per-customer basis.
We have added a new option, "Single Invoice per order? - Y/N" to the Customer Enquiry and Maintenance screens, on the Preferences tab. The default setting is "No", which means there is no change to the current Fastbase behaviour. If "Yes" is selected, when a new order is created, the "Single Invoice Only?" option will be set to "Yes".
Order number on Customer CreditsPreviously it was not possible to edit the Order Number field on Customer Credits. Also, the Order Number of the credit could only be viewed under Transaction Enquiry. We have also changed Fastbase so that the Order Number can be edited on the initial entry screen of a customer credit. The field is displayed on the Customer Credit entry screen and also the line item entry screen. This feature is enabled by a setup option, contact us if you are interested.
Select from the following list of newsletters that have been sent out.
- 01/12/2017 Office News, Emailing for remote Fastbase users, Customer Price Book for selected products, Import Stock Take count figures from a CSV file, Direct Credit Schedule for BNZ, New fields on Parts Price-List Import, Product Documentation, Satellite branch stock replenishment using Suggested Order Generation, Additional information about last receipt on Goods Receipt Costing Sheet
- 02/12/2016 Office News, Stock Price List Report - Part Extra Description, Non-Stocks parts on Part Assembly, Quick key to scroll drop-down list on selection fields, Cash sale - receipt transaction type
- 14/03/2016 Office News, Sorting Customer Invoice line items, Part Assembly Component List, Stock Purchase History
- 04/12/2015 Office News, Orders and Quotes displayed on main Fastbase screen, Reporting on Superseded parts, Freight Detail Report options
- 11/03/2015 Office news, New Zealand domain names, Customer Sales Order Display, Consolidate parts on Inwards Goods Report, Stock Ordering Report
- 05/12/2014 Office News, Search for parts when making a Purchase Order, Quantities per Branch on Inwards Goods Report
- 13/11/2014 Office news, Email a note to selected users, New fields on Parts Price-List Import, Selection of multiple call cycles, Back-order warning, Fastbase on Windows 8, Anti-virus software on Windows servers, Dual monitor support, Customer keyword search now includes Contacts and Delivery addresses
- 24/12/2013 Office News, Search by Main Supplier when Selecting Parts
- 28/11/2013 Office News, Quoting for items that aren't recorded as parts in Fastbase, Stream-lined entry of new part assembly transactions, Sorting of customer notes on the appointments screen, Maintaining a customer note - "Complete" button save and exit
- 24/09/2013 Office News, Prospective customers, Delete multiple expired quotes, Customer Activity Report, Import quote lines from a CSV file, Customer Frequent Products - exclude returned goods
- 19/02/2013 Office News, Changes to Contacts, Emailing and printing an invoice when creating an invoice from a sales order, Copy Customer, Selected Operator for Quote Summary and Quote Expiry Reports
- 06/12/2012 Office News, Fastbase notes, Warning message when sell price is below cost, Non-stock parts - cost-price validation on customer orders, Receipt printing, Changes to quote summary and quote expiry reports, Report original operator & salesperson on invoice register, Print customer special pricing
- 14/07/2012 Office news, Change to Suggested Purchase Order Generation, GL Transaction Listing report, Creating normal stock items from non-stock items when converting quote into order, Maintaining Goods Receipts, Display total cost and GP% for Build-Misc line items, Automatic Disabling of Overdue Customers, Future-dated transactions not included in Customer/Supplier Balances
- 15/02/2012 Office News, Photo indicator in Part Enquiry, Drag-and-Drop line items, Warning message for customers with active quotes
- 25/11/2011 Office News, Create a Quote from a Customers Discounts, Store Part information per Code, Store Image for each Customer
- 12/09/2011 Office News, Maximum Days Credit on the Customer Listing Report, Typing ahead, Long running searches, Subject in notes, Customer Notes and Alerts - Search, Supplier Payment Batches
- 02/06/2011 Office News, Image upload feature, Database replication, Search for products or customers, Progress bar, Print transaction batch, Selected companies per user, GL Account balances and unposted transactions
- 25/03/2011 Office news, Keyword Search, Report all accounts on GL Transaction listing, Additional Info on Suggested Purchase Order Report, Customer Credits on GST Report, Customer Sales Analysis by Gross Profit
- 02/12/2010 Office news, Stock Sales Analysis by Gross Profit
- 15/11/2010 Office news, GST rate change for NZ, New web server, websites and backup, Order Number in emailed invoices
- 28/09/2010 GST rate change - final reminder, Duplicate Bin Location Warning
- 20/08/2010 Office news, GST change on 1 October, Customer statements in CSV format, Single invoice per order, Order number on Customer Credits
- 18/06/2010 Office news, Copy purchase order line items from another order, Customer credit reference, Customer statements in CSV format, Import customers, Salesperson field on customer transactions, Customer Transactions Listing, Printing Credit Notes, Scheduled Price Updates, Serial and batch number checking in Fastbase, Stock Audit Report for a branch, Website product search, Check order number on invoice entry, Customer Sales Analysis Report, Maintaining customer receipts
- 18/12/2009 Office news, Minimum Gross Profit per Inventory type, Website search, Zero-value invoices, New CSV format for exporting Purchase Orders, Barcode scanning on goods receipts, Parts Price Import - importing of Product pack details, Web User Maintenance Security Levels, Cubic volume and weight on purchase orders, Highlight backorders supplied direct to the customer, Forward Dated Invoices, Plus key, Customer receipt reference, Ten price levels, Customer Credits - distinct return-branch per line item, Product Listing report, File - Printers, Consolidated Invoicing
- 08/06/2009 Office news, Notes subject, Goods receipts and consignment branches, Website search, Barcode pack tab, Product listing report, Company logos
- 16/03/2009 Office news, Suggested Order Generation Report, Customer Sales Analysis Report, Printing Credits, GL Transaction Listing
- 17/02/2009 Office news, Invoicing Multiple Orders, Suggested Purchases Report, Supplier Rebates, Orders Taken Report, Web Display Maintenance
- 24/12/2008 Office news, Part price import, Red alert notes, Map button
- 04/12/2008 Office news, Customer Employee Count, Area search for customer search, Release Backorders, Supplied-only packing slips for release backorders, Financial reports
- 06/11/2008 Office news, Improved Account Search, Contacts Tab, Cancel button, Discounts on website orders, Branch transfer, Barcodes on stationary items, Stock Sales Analysis report, Customer Special Pricing
- 29/09/2008 Office news, Multiple companies with different balance currencies, Profit/Loss Report Structuring, Bank Reconciliation Batching, Financial Report Font, Delivery Method, Part Maintenance, Purchase Order
- 31/08/2008 Office news, Sales found for customers, Supplier transactions, Return reminders
- 13/08/2008 Office news, Invoice Register Report, Backorder release, Email to Fastbase, Print and Email Invoices, Security option, Maintain button, Website part display
- 02/07/2008 Office news, Print Invoices & Credits, Customer Notes, Change Type Details, Maintain Goods Receipt
- 11/06/2008 Office news, Maintenance and Enquiry, Notes - Expiry Date, Emailing Notes, Invoice Register Report, Print Invoices and Credits, GST Adjustments, Fastbase Main Window, Printers
- 29/04/2008 Office news, Find product within a stock take, Product Enquiry - Delete, Hide Costs, Disabled Customers, Customer Order Status report, Print Customer Returns, Delete Customer Returns
- 03/04/2008 Office news, Generate customer returns, Sort sales order lines by part number, Search for customers, Batch and transaction dates
- 07/03/2008 Alex Burge, Cash Receipts report, Web server
- 27/01/2008 Ricky Li, Customer Quotes, Web server, Thumbnails
- 21/12/2007 Christmas dates, Purchase Orders, GL account enquiries, On-screen information for options and selections
- 24/10/2007 Office business, Spam, Company logo, Supplier contacts, EDI Orders & Delivery Confirmation
- 13/09/2007 Emails, Stationary layouts, Deferred GST, Discounts by code
- 12/08/2007 Whereabouts, New developments
- 05/07/2007 Whereabouts, Australian Bank Account Numbers
- 20/05/2007 Whereabouts, Part Listing Report - Print bin locations, Customer Sales Analysis Report - Customer type and area, Stock Taking - Bin locations, Appointments/Notes - Sending Emails
- 25/04/2007 Contact details, Stock Take - Enter Count Figures, Purchase Order - Import, Stock Price List Report
- 23/02/2007 Customer Receipts, Releasing Backordered Goods, Viewing Lists - Sorting Columns
- 01/02/2007 Account Maintenance/Lookup, Maintaining Sales Orders, Printing Packing Slips, Bank Deposit Supplement, Searching by Keywords, FastBase - Startup Page, FastBase - Emailing Us
- 15/12/2006 Supplier Post Code, Order Notes, Purchase Order Register Report, Order Reports, FastBase Main Screen, Supplier Invoice Entry
- 05/12/2006 Fixed Assets, Cancelling Supplier Payments, Xtra e-Mail Not Delivered, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
- 31/10/2006 Looking up Addresses, Selection Screens - Quick Find, Profit & Loss Report - Consolidated Accounts, Saving Report Selections, Merging Suppliers/Customers/Parts, Security Levels
- 24/10/2006 Cancelling Orders & Transferring Stock, Non-Diminishing Parts, Automatic Price Updating, Credits - Surcharge %, GL Account Enquiry - Printing Transactions, Staff Changes @ FastBase
- 13/10/2006 Order Enquiry, Releasing Backordered Goods, Freight Detail Report, Part Numbers, Invoicing Orders
- 04/10/2006 Processing Menu, Order Entry - Non Stock Items, Quote Status Report, Order Entry - Supply Quantity..., Purchase Order Enquiry
- 29/08/2006 Order Entry - Viewing Price History, Enquiry to Maintain Transactions, Barcodes on Products
- 04/08/2006 Sales Order Entry - Price History, Sales Order Entry - Default Quantities, Part Enquiry - Quoting a Customer, Customer Enquiry / Notes
- 25/07/2006 Import Parts Price File, Supplier Payment Details
- 10/07/2006 Part Maintenance - Selling Prices, Part Enquiry - Customer Price, Transaction Quick Entry, Customer Maintenance
- 29/06/2006 Exchange Rates, Stock Enquiry, Balance Sheet, Calendar / Appointments, Addresses - Zoomin
- 08/06/2006 Goods Receipt Entry, Emailing Reports and Forms, Customer Discounts, Stock Valuation Report, Utilities - Types - Inventory
- 19/05/2006 Payments - Bank Reconciliation, GL Journal Entry, 5 Cent Rounding, Customer/Supplier Lookup, Your Internet Connection!, Customer Credits
- 03/05/2006 Goods Receipts, Purchasing Backordered Goods, Customer Listing, Stock Adjustments - Labels, Customer Sticky Labels - Mail Merge, Product Maintenance - Misc
- 15/03/2006 Customer Status, Customer Receipts Summary Report, Supplier Payments Summary Report, Dispatching Orders, Order Logs, Product Maintenance, Users - Minimum Sales GP%
- 03/03/2006 Dishonoured Cheques, Customer Enquiry - Sales History, Purchase Order Entry, Balance Sheet, Stock Price List
- 08/02/2006 Profit and Loss Report, Maintenance Menu, Customer Frequent Products, Minimum Sales Margin - Minimum Sales GP%, Promotional/Give-away Items, Bank Accounts, Stock Listing, Customer Quotes, Suppliers - Payment Due Dates
- 19/01/2006 Product Maintenance/Enquiry, Product Listing Report, Stock Valuation Report
- 13/12/2005 Sorting Lists on Screen, Trading with other FastBase Companies, Supplier Invoices - Narration, Product Enquiry - Sales History, Purchase Order Entry
- 30/11/2005 Order Entry - Drag and Drop, Forward Orders Report, Stock Adjustments, Customer Order Numbers, Screen Reports
- 15/11/2005 Cash Movements Report, Customer Listing Report, Purchase Orders - Authorisation, Supplier Invoice Entry - Take 2
- 27/10/2005 Purchase Orders, Supplier Invoice Entry, Freight on Stock Transfers, Part Enquiry - Alternate Parts, Product Selections
- 10/10/2005 Stock Adjustments, Supplier Payments, Part Enquiry - Photos
- 12/09/2005 Quotes, Order Entry, Product Enquiry, Customers/Suppliers, FastBase - Screenshots, Ecommerce: Web Users
- 23/08/2005 Order Entry, Supplier Invoices, Customer Enquiry - Frequent Products, Emailing Documents, FastBase Startup, FastBase Installation
- 15/08/2005 Emailing Invoices/Statements etc. from FastBase, Printing / Emailing, Product Maintenance - Weight, Order Entry - Cash Customers
- 04/08/2005 Deleting Accounts, Quote Status Report, Quote Summary Report, Bank Deposit Supplement, Printing Invoices for Selected Customers, Stock Price List - for Customers, Emailing Invoices/Statements etc.
- 18/07/2005 Customer Listing, Backup, Customer Credits, Product Enquiry
- 28/06/2005 Product Availability Report, Supplier Invoices (Tax)
- 13/06/2005 Invoicing Orders, Transaction Maintenance
- 08/06/2005 Cash Payments and Receipts, Supplier Invoices - Payments, Supplier Invoices/Credits
- 10/05/2005 Miscellaneous Menu, Narrations, Stock Writedowns, Customer Enquiry, Stock Price List
- 29/04/2005 FastBase - New Address, Date Entry
- 24/03/2005 Stock Enquiry, Customer Freight Charges, Balance Sheet Report, Calendar & Calculator
- 02/03/2005 GL Enquiries, Emailing Reports, Stock Transfers, Stock Taking
- 22/02/2005 Product Enquiry, Line Notes, Backup - Verification
- 07/02/2005 Stock Adjustments, Inwards Goods Report, Estimated Prices
- 22/11/2004 Transaction Entry - Duplicate Products, Item Quantities, Web Sites
- 15/11/2004 New Sales Report, Keyword Search, Stock Valuation Report
- 08/11/2004 Stationery Layouts (Forms), Customer Receipts
- 04/11/2004 General Ledger, FastBase Functionality
- 27/10/2004 Backup
- 11/10/2004 Emailing Reports, Stock Taking, Stock Transfers, Email - SPAM
- 10/09/2004 Transaction Enquiry, Goods Receipts/Credits, Invoicing Goods Receipts, Serial Numbers, Credit Notes, Mouse Wheel
- 06/09/2004 Calendar and Calculator, Barcode Printing/Scanning, OpenOffice
- 25/08/2004 Stock Adjustments, Security, Bank Reconciliation, FastBase
- 10/08/2004 Customer Aged Trial Balance, Period End, Goods Receipts, Stock Transfers
- 26/07/2004 Notes and Alerts, Notes and Alerts - More Changes, GL Journal Batches, Customer Discounts, Product Maintenance
- 14/07/2004 Notes & Alerts, Printing Reports from Screen, Saving Report Selections, Printing Statements, Bank Reconciliation, Customer Sales Analysis Report
- 28/06/2004 Period End, Goods Receipts/Credits, Batch Printing, Screen Reports
- 02/06/2004 Stock Price List, Customer - Credit Control, Invoice Maintenance, Customer Receipts, Customer Enquiry - Transactions, Users - Preferences, Miscellaneous
- 27/05/2004 Finding Transactions, Notes & Alerts
- 18/05/2004 Standing Transactions, Supplier Purchase History, Backorder Email Notifications, Zip Drive??
- 06/05/2004 Stock Sales Analysis Report, Notes and Alerts, Order Entry
- 19/04/2004 Newsletters, Stock Valuation - Aging, Other Changes
- 07/04/2004 Customer Parent Companies, Notes and Alerts (sales messages)
- 18/03/2004 Order Entry, Date Entry, Free Advertising
- 05/03/2004 Entering New Parts, Stock Sales Analysis Report, Date Entry, Account Maintenance
- 27/02/2004 Sales Orders, GL Accounts, Inwards Goods Report, Finding Invoices
- 19/02/2004 Stock Enquiry, Suggested Order Generation, Purchase Orders, Selecting Suppliers, Orders - Notes
- 05/02/2004 Saved Reports, Part Enquiry - Orders
- 27/01/2004 Transaction Entry, Miscellaneous, Reporting - New Feature
- 06/01/2004 Order Enquiry, Customer Receipt Entry, Goods Credits, GL Trial Balance